Monday, May 9, 2011

Glow-ish

It started with a few medical tests I do not recommend for recreation. Got me thinking about expectations again. We must follow doctor's orders, but nobody I ever talked to thinks a colonoscopy is fun. And though Thursday night and Friday were lost, the day of the test was fun- not at all what I expected. Because my eldest, Sarah, took me, and we spent the day laughing. Expectations play a roll in all sorts of things, including how you assess the outcome of various events. But expectations often just turn out to be wrong or they spoil things all together. They only work if you prepare ahead to laugh whenever possible and adjust downward through the rest. And even then, you'll still be surprised. So, I just enjoy being surprised.

The same weekend, I took my annual run to Sunrise Nursery to prepare for my Mother's Day gardening extravaganza. I always love the job of buying plants and flowers. Usually get lost on the way there with my best friend, buy way too much, struggle to get it all in the car... It's a fun, fun tradition and I expected this to be the same. But Michelle moved to Paris. The rip. Even so, we've managed to make this trip together every year - except for this one. So, I went all by my lonesome and I was surprised by how sad it made me. Fought off a grouch the whole afternoon. So much for expectations. It takes vigilence to rid yourself of them. I have much to learn.

Mother's day expectations were way higher even still, silly girl that I am. My entire family with their babies in tow were in and out over the course of the weekend, to my abject delight. But again, the day of Mother's Day, I expected early arrivals and the early completion of farm tasks. Every year I conscript my childrens' labor on Mother's Day as my gift request. Help me plant. They did. Just not on my time table. I started to feel sorry for myself for not getting exactly what I wanted when I wanted. But that's just silly. Some of the labor in fact is still happening. Allie traumatized herself today by sticking a rake through a frog in her effort to help her mom. My gardens got mostly planted all weekend long instead of according to my plan. Now, it's hard to walk, my fingernails will never be the same, there is still a lot to do - but my yard is beyond lovely and so is my family. Plus I've got that glow-ish feeling you get from hard work, good food,lots of baby kisses, and low and frequently adjusted expectation. I wish that and more for you. Minus expectations. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment