Thursday, May 5, 2011

Seize the moment

Those spider web trampolines are here already! I like to look at them in the early mornings because they're all covered in dew and when the sun hits them they really sparkle. All along my path - you can't go three steps without seeing them. I mostly noticed them before in the late summer and fall. We still have daffodils and tulips and bare naked trees, but those industrious spiders are already spinning their little trampolines from the tips of one blade of grass to the next. Amazing little things. Some webs are not as big as my palm but they all have this vortex - a dip with a hole in the middle where the spider dwells. She waits there for some unsuspecting little bug to spot her toy, take a bounce and "kaprise". They're lunch.

But I think I have just solved the mystery of why I never see them in Spring. My lawn mowing husband is usually very enthusiastic this time of year. But he didn't do my path this weekend because it was too wet down there. And he wanted to get over to the lake to wind surf. He's becoming delinquent in his lawn duties already. And that's all it takes. Give them a week and they spread out onto acres of pathway. Do you think the poor little buggers go hungry in the spring time when he's more diligent about his mowing??? Nah. But do you think they hear the mower coming and evacuate in time? I will investigate and let you know.

Here's hoping you seize the moment - and evacuate in time when necessary too. XOXOOX

No comments:

Post a Comment