Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Moment

It stopped raining for a minute yesterday evening, just at the perfect gloaming moment.  Sun was lighting up big white clouds and the horizon had piles and piles of blue and purple clouds.  My client was leaving the office - and she has had a terrible, horrible, no good very bad set of circumstances to deal with of late.  I was behind the little rescheduling window and she was lingering in the door way.  Then she looked over at me and said, "Come here."  So I did.  She just pointed up and we appreciated it together.  Gorgeous.  That was a moment, right there.

So, technically speaking, in blogging days, we've passed the 21 days in a row for journaling about moments like that one.  If you have been faithful with the commitment to create a new habit of daily gratitude, you're off the hook - if you want to be.  I personally am remaining firmly on that hook and plan to stay on it.  According to my hero, Dr. Martin Seligman, the equivalent of Alder's red cloaked super chipmunk, lots of things contribute to thriving that are outside our control and one big thing is within our control .  Circumstances and genetics: things like age, stinky dog you-know-what, jellyfish blooms, intelligence, the foolish cult of unearned "self esteem" we've institutionalized in the last couple of decades, income bracket, climate, etc. all affect our ability to create and thrive.  But we have the one thing completely within our control that can always tip the scale in our direction.  The story we tell ourselves about what something means.  Attitude.  That was a horribly inadequate condensation of  Dr. Seligman's life work.  Read his latest writings to get the straight up details, and there will be more of my take on it later. But for now, concentrating on my attitude of gratitude/amazement/mischief;  my stories I tell myself and my intention to be of service (an instrument of peace).  And you?  XOXOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment