Friday, April 8, 2011

Present

Got a phone call this morning a little after 6 AM.  Usually those don't mean good news.  It scared the puddin' out of me.  It wasn't catastrophic, but not good news either.  So during my exercise, which is what I use to ground myself, I tuned in to the rhythm of my feet, the ripe cow smell (farmers are fertilizing) mixed with new grass in the wet air, how much traffic there is so early in the day.  That was the best I could do to quiet my brain.  My walks are my meditation or prayer or means to the present moment.  They get me in my body, because I'm pushing it.  That gets me out of my head.  I  can 'what if' myself to shreds if I let that go unchecked. Some days, it takes most of the work out to get the endorphins going enough to bleed off the anxiety and start to enjoy the squirrel sighting or giggle in surprise at the sound of peepers squealing and plopping into the pond.  But that is my intention and so I do it.  Even on days that might not be so swell later on.

 So the idea today is that sometimes it takes hard work to tune into the gratitude channel, or be present to the present moment and notice what is with some pleasure.  That doesn't mean it isn't worth doing.  Are you still writing your three things?

No comments:

Post a Comment